Sunday, September 27, 2009

Looking for some truth, dancing with no shoes... The beat, the rhythm, the blues... The pounding of your heart's drum together with another one

Your dad saw yesterday just how important it is to live every moment of your life because you never know when it will all be taken away from you. We get one shot. One. I know from personal experience that is easy to bogged down in the mire and forget what is truly important. It's something I work hard to change about myself but without excuses, it's something I've had ingrained in me for a very long time and I have found it difficult to break free from.

I want you boys to live a life of intention. Be calculated and have a plan...but also allow spontaneity to let you live life to the fullest. We're here for a relatively short time and it would be awful to look back on a life full of regrets. I know I don't want to do it and most certainly want a fuller life for the two of you than I have had.

Living a life of intention is a concept everyone would admit that they want but few go about creating. Be one of the few, not the many. It's too easy to become lax about living one's life. Don't do it. Be extraordinary. Never let that heart stop beating.

Certain images will stay with you for your whole lives. I have a sad one from yesterday. I also can say with complete honesty that my two boys looked as beautiful to me yesterday as they ever have before.

Headline from "Sweet Old World" by Lucinda Williams, 1992

0 comments: