Friday, June 18, 2010

You had to have the last word last night...
You know what everything's about

Well, my soon to be sixteen six year-old was at it again last night. I told him he could watch TV for five more minutes before bed and as I'm accustomed to do... 5 minutes slipped into thirty. As we started upstairs he asked me, “Are we gonna read a story?” “Not tonight buddy” I replied, “It's late.” He responds by saying, and I quote... “You know, you said I could watch TV for five minutes and then you let me watch for a long time. While I do appreciate that, storytime is very important to me.” Oh, good God.

So then, we're lying in bed and discussing Star Wars which he watched earlier in the day while home sick. He's describing his favorite part in great detail (the trash compactor scene) and I jump in with a comment. He looks at me and says, “Are you telling the story or am I?”

When this kid hits his teens, I am so screwed.

Headline from "Big Shot" by Billy Joel, 1979

0 comments: